It was almost completely dark that Saturday evening. I found myself – accidentally, unfortunately – hiking alone, desperately trying to find an exit point on MacLehose Trail Stage 10.
My phone was dead, and I had no torch to light the way. I was on my 19km mark, exhausted and scared, when I saw a black feral dog by the corner of the path. I tried to turn left but he started barking at me and advanced as if to attack. I had no weapon – and then it hit me (I mean, the idea). I brandished my 2.5-foot long selfie stick at the damned animal (which hesitated upon seeing the monopod) and carried on relieved and less frightened, protected by what many dismiss as just another object of vanity…
Yep, not kidding. That happened to me last weekend.
Starting Point: Tuen Mun MTR (I’m doing this backwards, towards Section 9, because transport access is easier that way)
Finishing Point: Tin Fu Tsai, literally in the middle of nowhere
Length: 15.6 kilometres
Time: 5.0 hours
Difficulty: Easy Walk
WORD OF WARNING: It’s either you start or end in Tin Fu Tsai, from which there is no transport access. If you don’t want to get caught in the mountains by dark, maybe you can START at Tin Fu Tsai (take a taxi from MTR Kam Sheung Station) and end at Tuen Mun MTR.
If you want to start from the MTR station though (START BEFORE NOON!), here’s how to get there:
Got that? You’ll see this sign, easy:
Keep following the signs to Country Park -> MacLehose Trail Stage 10.
And then finally, after the paved first half, you’ll enter a proper trail through the mountains. That’s when it starts to get really pretty:
How to get out of Tin Fu Tsai? Please bring a torch or have sufficient battery on your phones, folks, because it’s a long way back to civilisation…
- Carry on to the next stage of Maclehose Trail (Stage 9) – an easy 2.5 hr/6.3km walk to the road (Route Twisk). Your best option.
- Tai Lam Chung Country Trail (5.5 km/3-4 hours north) to the road; exit to Tsing Long Highway
- Yuen Tun Country Trail (9 km/ 4 hours) to Sham Tseng/Castle Peak Road
- Take an early exit from the Sweet Gum Woods to the Wong Nai Tun Tsuen Tai Tong Bus stop (3-4km/1 hour walk)
- Yuen Tsuen Ancient Trail (6km/3-4 hours north OR south)